I enjoy sharing what I’ve learned from all the mistakes I’ve made: helping people learn new things, or get better at things they already known. I write about it, speak and facilitate workshop at meetups, conferences, and at clients. I do a few talks and workshops a year, often with a friend who I can learn something from.
Workshops and speaking
Here are some recent talks and workshops that I’ve done.
- April 2022 - Dungeons and Dragons and Accessibility talk at Code Camp Wellington: slides on SpeakerDeck; blog post version of the talk.
- April 2022 - The ups and downs of working in Accessibility (using tennis as a metaphor) talk at Auckland Digital Accessibility and Inclusive Design Meetup, with Maria Guichard: video on YouTube (47m); PDF version of slides.
- November 2022 - Sounds like a good idea: how to get started testing with a screen reader talk at A11y Camp 2022: text version of the talk; video on YouTube.
- May 2022 - How to get the most (accessibility) out of a design system talk at A11y Bytes 2022: my slides; video on YouTube.
- April 2022 - Introduction to Accessibility talk at Wellington Xero talks: my slides.
- November 2021 - Getting the most out of jest-axe talk at A11y Camp: my slides; video on YouTube.
- May - Oh my GAAD! (The wide world of accessibility) talk at the Wellington Open Source Show And Tell meetup; my slides.
- May - From myth-busting to “but/and”-ing: Persuading people to do accessibility work talk at A11y Bytes 2021; my slides; video on YouTube.
- November - Love in the Time of Coronavirus: what the pandemic can teach us about creating a more caring, inclusive, and equitable world talk at UX South Africa, with Nicola du Toit; our slides, the talk on YouTube.
- February - The WebAIM Million and making our stuff more accessible lightning talk at the Wellington Open Source Show And Tell meetup; my slides.
I’ve been doing speaking and workshops since October 2014. Have a look at my community archive for the full list.