I’ve been thinking about how I do my best work. And how people, broadly speaking, do their best work.
I’ve worked at quite a few different companies, in different industries, in different countries. Some things seem to be steady indicators for people to be happy and to be doing their best work.
I’m a good fit for a job when I have a FIT: Finishing; Impact; Type.
I feel like I’m finishing work.
- Limiting Work In Progress.
- Smoothly flowing working with quick reviews.
- Quick and lean processes in the team and the wider organisation.
I feel like I’m seeing the impact of my work.
- Working closely with clients and with people doing the work.
- Understanding how the work ties into strategic goals.
- Seeing action coming from advice.
This is more personal: the types of work I enjoy most.
I feel like I’m playing to my strengths.
And coming in hot at the end of the list: Presenting; Coding.
Feedback from colleagues across a range of jobs has taught me that I’m good at: being empathetic; making it simple; being positive. I also tend to be high energy when I’m doing work I enjoy (and vice versa), like a BOA: Bright; Open; Active.
- Concise not comprehensive
- Enthusiastic not apathetic
- Fast not slow
- Optimistic not pessimistic
- Upbeat not downbeat
- Collaborative not combative
- Connecting not dividing
- Constructive not destructive
- Open not closed
- Thinking on a spectrum not a binary
- Change-harnessing not change-avoiding or -complaining
- Efficient not wasteful
- Seeing change as inherent not problematic
- Solution-focused not problem-focused
- Thoughtful and considered not rash and impulsive