axe DevTools is great! I find it particularly good for picking up any big accessibility problems (such as form controls missing labels).
Here’s how to run and read it for best results.
- Install it, open it in DevTools, and run Scan All Of My Page.
- Toggle off Best Practices.
- The paid version has extra bells and whistles and things, but the free version is very helpful.
- If you want a more guided experience, check out the (free) assessment option of Microsoft Accessibility Insights browser extension (Chrome only).
- Look at the Critical issues. (Click on the numbers in the summary panel to filter the issue list.)
- Open one of the issue accordions.
- Use “Highlight” to see where on the page the issue is occurring.
- Use the
>(Next Issue) and
<(Previous Issue) buttons to view each issue in the group.
- Read the “To solve this problem…” section for an HTML-level solution.
- Follow the “more information” link for detail on the issue (How to Fix the Problem (with Correct / Incorrect markup solutions), Why it Matters (who it affects and how), Rule Description, and Compliance Data & Impact).
- Make a Jira ticket using the text of the axe issue. For example, for an axe issue of “Images must have alternate text” could have:
- Summary could be “Banner image is missing text alternative”
- Description could include: “Determine if image is content or just presentational”
- Acceptance Criteria could be: “Image has a text alternative that describes the image’s purpose or content.” Or “Image is marked and presentational”.
- Priority could align with axe’s User Impact. To match audit terminology (axe → Xero): Critical → Critical; Serious → High; Moderate → Medium; Minor → Low.
- WCAG Success Criteria can be found as tags /pills on an issue in DevTools (e.g .
wcag412is WCAG SC 4.1.2), or under WCAG Success Criteria in the Compliance Data & Impact section of the “more information” linked page.)
- Look at the Serious issues
- Look at the Moderate issues
- Look at the Minor issues
- Toggle Best Practice back on, and click on the Best Practice number in the summary panel to filter the issue list.