When I do talks or workshops, I like have only little bits of me talking and lots of bits of people doing stuff. I use my big “writing, workshops, and talks” list to plan the thing as a whole. I use something a bit smaller for planning the specific activities throughout: a little facilitation bingo board.
General Principles for activities
- keep them short;
- mix them up;
- make them active;
- ask questions.
The bingo board
|Format||Read||Write / Draw / Talk||Make|
A first batch of activities might look like this.
- Think, Single, Write, Here.
- On a sticky note, write down what you want to get from this workshop.
- Think, Pair, Talk, Over There.
- Share your goals with someone on the other side of the room.
- Do, Group, Make, Here.
- As a table, construct a proto-persona for your current product or project.
- Review, Pair, Talk, There.
- With a partner, discuss what surprised you about the persona you made.