I'm about to set up a new laptop for work, so I made a list of applications that I use on a daily basis, with their prices. Turns out there are quite a few!
Coding: things I use to make websites.
- Sublime Text for editing. USD70.
- iTerm 2 with oh my zsh for command line. Free.
- Git for version control (using something very similar to Gitflow Workflow). Free.
- Gitx for helping with git. Free.
- GitHub for code hosting. Pricing varies. Some people use BitBucket instead: it's cheaper for small teams with lots of private repositories.
- Dropbox for file storage and backup. Pricing varies.
- Codekit for non-Rails HTML/CSS/JS. USD28.
- Cyberduck for FTP. USD24.
- Pixelmator for image manipulation. USD15.
The other stuff: things I use to Internetz.
- Reeder for RSS (until Google Reader shut down. Now using NetNewsWire until Reeder for Mac updates.)
- Evernote for notes. Free version: haven't yet had the need to go Premium (45USD / year).
- 1Password for password storage. 50USD.
- Alfred with Powerpack. USD17.
- Propane for Campfire. USD20.
- Campfire account. Pricing varies.
- Sparrow for email. USD10.
- Tweetbot for Twitter. ZAR 160.
- Harvest for time tracking. Pricing varies.